View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The books kids are made to read in school are so dreadfully dry and boring and to add insult to injury, the way they are taught make the kids dislike the books even if they might have enjoyed them otherwise. So what scools are doing is forcing kids to read books they don't enjoy. That can have the detrimental effect of turning them off to books.

In my case, before I got that far, I was already reading books I enjoyed. So I was able to keep doing so. But kids who get their first real experience with books from school tend to be turned off to reading. They find it dull and a chore because they dislike the books and the way the teacher makes them learn. I mean really, is memorizing "To be or not to be" really going to make kids want to read more? It's going to make them hate learning about Hamlet and take away what might be a passion for reading.

Teachers need to learn how to teach without turning off most kids to reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote