View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anais9000 View Post
I'm not talking about an occasional typo. I'm talking about the fact that there are hundreds of typos in most Gutenberg texts, sometimes thousands...

In the olden days maybe there was an excuse for this -- not for publishers, but maybe for the amateurs like those in this forum...
Anais, don't confuse MobileRead with Project Gutenberg. Some of us may contribute, but we are not the only ones who do.

That said, your point that these works should be better proofread is a good one, and I agree. There may be those who overlook proofing out of laziness, or out of some desire to rack up a lot of postings... and obviously, they should be doing better by their work. But this is a group effort, not one done by some glass-walled institution somewhere. The best we can do as a group is to point out what flaws we find, so that they can be corrected. Because until a deep-pocketed organization takes up the mantle, the only ones available to do it right is us.

I wish there was a way to prevent Sony from grabbing unproofed Gutenberg texts and publishing them. Perhaps no one's told them how rife with errors those texts are... again, it's our job to make sure they know that. And now that we are aware, we (including you) need to send Sony some letters, and include specific texts known to be wrong, so they can take appropriate action.

Again, when no one in authority is policing around here, we have to do our own policing.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote