View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #57
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
I'm not sure it's appropriate to blame Amazon for ebook DRM, no*. I do blame Amazon for the horrible, stupid mess that is the TPZ format, though** - and I'd prefer it if they supported DRM-free ePub, without which I personally won't consider buying one of their eReaders.

(*They launched their MP3-only Music store before Apple dropped their music DRM, for instance)
(**Even non-DRM'ed, I wouldn't buy TPZ books and I consider it a problem that they're not clearly labelled)

However, Apple's actions have shown that they believe that the vendor lock-in effect of DRM compensates them for lower media sales, and since they make most of their money off hardware sales, this may well be a better business strategy for them to adopt, even as it excludes me from their potential market.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote