View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #68
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
For all the above reasons, I personally don't see the reason for a SD card slot. What for? I don't even see why people want a USB port... Maybe I just don't get it .
Let's assume that I have an iPad and I am leaving for vacation with my girlfriend; I go to Rome, and I take lots of pictures with my digital camera; in the evening, in my hotel room, we decide to look at our pictures, so I take my iPad out and....
...oh, SHAME! We're forced to look our pictures on the small camera's screen! Had I brought my laptop instead, I would have copied them into it and watched them on a larger screen!

I am assuming of course that I didn't buy the external USB/SD adapter. But my point is, since I expect people to bring the iPad with them during vacation instead of their laptop (because a tablet is a lot less encumbrant), similar situations will happen a lot, and make USB and SD ports a necessity. That's why I don't understand why they are optional instead of integrated.

Another scenario: when I go on vacation, I bring my laptop with me because I actually use it as a media device (I also do work on it, and get beaten by my gf for it, but that's not the point ), for example I can loan a DVD and watch a movie on it in case the hotel/b&b/place where I stay doesn't have a TV set and DVD player.
If I buy a tablet, I expect it to be PORTABLE, so I expect it to satisfy my needs OUTSIDE my house (otherwise I'd buy a desktop PC, which I already have). But the iPad relies heavily on other devices to work... if I want to see a movie on it, I need another PC to transfer it from the PC to the tablet; if I want to install apps I need another PC equipped with iTunes; except the few cases in which I can use the external USB / SD adapter, I always need another PC.

This makes it a lot less portable then what Apple says. Take a look at the latest Sony tablets, and they are indeed a lot more portable (and with multitouch too).

Still, I might buy one someday: if the history of the iPhone repeats itself with the iPad, I can predict that once the iPad 4G will be out it will be exactly as portable as I want it, and with a more reasonable price. That day I'll buy it!
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote