View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Convergence is the holy grail. It is true that converged devices continue to compromise. But the compromise is shrinking as we move into the future. I had a Kyocera 7135 quite a few years ago, a very early Palm-phone. I was very disappointed in the convergence. I have an iPhone today and I am much happier with what it offers.

I'll stay excited about the prospects for convergence in the future. I love my Sony e-reader but that doesn't mean I would reject a converged device that did that much and more.

BTW, sound quality asymptotes to "good enough," for example in most vehicles I defy you to tell the difference between an original CD and a well-ripped (192 KBPS VBR MP3 or equivalent) track played through the iPod or iPhone into an MP3 optimized head unit. I agree the iPod or iPhone is not the pinnacle of mobile audio quality. Cowan's devices probably are. But it is good enough for me, even listening through my Etymotics ER-4P's (a mid-to-high end canal-phone) or the custom stereo I installed myself in my last car (Alpine CDA-9887 HU properly tuned, JL Audio 10W3v3 sub, Focal KPS separates in the doors, JL Audio 150/2 and 300/1 amps).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote