I was planning to make this thread for a long time. There is so much stuff I keep discovering and finding on this forum.
Dear fellow PocketBook owners, please help me to expand this list.
- You can install your own fonts on the device. Just connect the device to the PC using supplied USB cable. Copy your fonts to the [Letter]:\system\fonts\ directory
- You can use not only *.ttf fonts on PB, you can also use *.ttc fonts. Just rename *.ttc file to *.ttf . TTC file is TrueType Collection, and it consists of several ttf fonts. An example of such font is Cambria that is the new font used in Windows Vista or Office 2007 as a replacement for Times New Roman. You can get Cambria by downloading and installing PowerPointViewer 2007. You can even install it on Linux using Wine.
- You can tweak the FBReader application using [Letter]:\system\fonts\styles.xml file. For example if you want to have greater first line indent and space after paragraph change line
<style id="0" name="Regular Paragraph" firstLineIndentDelta="20" allowHyphenations="true"/>
<style id="0" name="Regular Paragraph" firstLineIndentDelta="40" allowHyphenations="true" spaceAfter="4"/>
- You can install additional dictionaries. See thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60689
There is Dictionary converter available at http://www.pocketbookreader.com/Downloads.html
- You can install many interesting applications from page http://pocketbook-free.sourceforge.net/en/index.shtml
- You can install improved FBReader with page breaks after a chapter and button-less pageturn. See this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65865
- There are several file formats that you can open using more than one application. If you do not like how the e-pub is displayed in the default application simply hold OK button in library, when you are on the book and select <open with> menu
- You can remap all the keys using configuration menu on the device
- You can remap the ON/OFF key to several interesting options, like Make Screenshot, or list of the most recently read books
- You can switch off the status line by mapping any key to the status line on/off function
- You can emulate Pocketbook on your PC with PBSDK (Thanks Ulli for tip)
- You can create logos for your pocketbook wich appears at the start and turned off (Thanks Ulli for tip)
You have to create bmp images that are greyscale, size 600x800 pixels, and put them in [Letter]:\system\logo\ directory. Then you select from main menu on device Settings -> Appearance -> Boot Logo or Power-off Logo
- There is a reset button under the battery cover at the back of the PocketBook 360.
- You can open the battery cover the following way.
- snap the lid onto the screen
- put the PB360 on the table screen down in such a way that you see the PocketBook letters upside down
- put your index fingers along the edge of the device that is further from you.
- put thumbs at the cover, gently push down and forward until the cover slides off
- If the battery gets deeply discharged, the device will not react to the connection of the charger and you will not be able to switch it on. Do not despair.
Connect the device to charger and press reset button. The device will boot and will start charging.
- You can leave any application if you press the upper and lower pageturn button simultaneously. So if you installed for example chess, or other game and you do not know how to abort a game without swiching the machine off, just press the two large buttons.
- Do not leave the optional Linux terminal application by the way described in the above point, use the keyboard (that you get by pressing OK button) and type exit command ;-)
- if you create directory or file with name beginning with dot, it will be invisible from library. So if you want to use the reader memory or an SD card to transport some data and you do not want to see those in the Library, just create directory like .data or .invisible
This is standard Linux behavior.
- When you open the book at least once, a symbol signalizing that the book is being read appears next to the name of the book in library. There is another symbol signalizing that the book has been finished. You can reset those symbols. Just position the cursor on the name of the book in the library, press *and hold* the OK button and select appropriate menu item.