View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
... I get the feeling that Le Guin is in the luddite camp of J.K. Rowling, et. al.
I think it is inappropriate to make the assumption that she or any other author not currently offering electronic books is a Luddite. There are many valid reasons for holding this position, and accusing a science fiction author of a fear of technology does not add value to the debate.

As to her position on the settlement, it seems very reasonable. I have first-hand knowledge of a writer who has several of his works available in electronic editions, and who decided to opt-out of the Google/WGA settlement when he learned of one of his books being on the "orphaned works" list. He, like many authors, finds the terms of the settlement unconscionable, regardless of other ebook publication status. I am sure that if he had Ms. Le Guin's clout (or if he were a WGA member), he would have made a similar public statement.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote