View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #60
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
No, it can't.

Let's say we eliminate all copyright. The process is completely and absolutely eliminated, all content can be reproduced at will.

An author sends an unsolicited manuscript to an agent; the agent then takes it to the publisher, they edit it, publish it, and refuse to pay the author anything. Another publisher sees that the book is selling well, so they translate it into German and sell it internationally. Again, they refuse to pay the author or original publisher anything. No contracts were signed, so the author has no protection.

Then, a director reads the book and thinks it will make a great movie. Since there's no copyright, she does not need the author's permission to make a movie; she does not have to pay for the rights; and she doesn't have to make any contracts with anyone. So she makes a movie, and doesn't need to pay the author a single cent. Next thing you know, there are 20 "Lord of the Ring" movies, including one in Esperanto and two set in the Star Wars universe.

Now let's say someone early in the process (the author, the agent, the publisher) isn't happy about all this, so next time around they slap some DRM on it and say that anyone who wants to read "their" book(s) has to sign a contract that prevents the reader from distributing the book for the life of the author plus 100 years. If that becomes the norm, then the public is right back in the same situation as it is now. You might even lose MORE rights, as the publisher might stipulate longer contract terms and insist that you cannot reproduce the content for any reason whatsoever, including parodies and fair use and backups. If you lose your copy, then it sucks to be you and you can go buy another copy.

So, got any other suggestions?
Your scenario presupposes that we haven't found some way to eradicate all the parasites in this future we have without copyright (I have my fingers crossed that we do ) As far as I can see it, the agents, the publishers and their ilk will be extinct within 20 years.

EDIT: I'll go even further than this prediction. I'll say that within ten years the idea of price-per-digital-cultural-object will be completely gone from our mindset. Copyright, if it even exists, will be some form of Creative Commons (but much less restrictive) and most people will abide by that copyright because of manners and netiquette and not threats of law. Also, we will have reached Mars. TV will no longer exist. And the reality-star will be a forgotten memory belonging to 'the end days' of traditional media. There will also be an ice cream that involves bacon

Last edited by Moejoe; 12-09-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote