View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I didn't mind Wizard and Glass simply for the back history of Roland and his Ka-tet. I could have done without the entire romance part of the plot in that one but I suppose that is a large part of why Roland is Roland so I guess you take the good with the bad as they say.

Cheers,
PKFFW
I think part of my frustration was firstly that I read it three times (each time the next 2 books after it came out). Then I always felt that, though important back history, for me it was fleshed out into a bigger book than it needed to be (I think interleaved with more "real time" stuff, I wouldn't have been so frustrated...each time. ).

I never had such frustrations rereading the first book (The Gunslinger) though. I actually liked it, just by itself, and sometimes I wish that's all I had ever read (just because its ending leaves so much unexplained, and sometimes I like that in a book...that whole "What just happened?").

I think we need to be careful, or we'll be straying into Spoiler territory and this thread will end up nothing but pages of spoiler tags.
Spoiler:
There is no spoon!

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote