View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #122
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
You guys are funny. All this talk about why justification on most readers is terrible and not a single one of you experts has mentioned the single largest factor -- most readers don't have hyphenation algorithms (the H in H&J -- there's a reason why they go together). Being able to move blocks of 2, 3, 4+ letters to short lines would make a huge difference in the word spacing problem.

Also, many of you seem to be hung up on kerning. While kerning would come into play in some instances, tracking would have a much larger influence on the overall appearance (kerning refers to spacing between individual letter pairs, while tracking refers to the spacing over whole lines or blocks of letters).
You funny too!

I certainly don't know the technical terms from the printing world (kerning may not be the right term), but I do know that the control of spacing and "smoothing" the flow of the lines (in order to obtain full justification) has been optimized in print books but is far from it on e-readers. This inconsistent spacing when the software attempts to fully justify text is atrocious on every reader I've seen.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote