View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooker View Post
Hi gang,
I just bought a sony prs-600 and i'm happy with it. But as I use it, I can see that at some point I might consider a second reader that is non-touchscreen (so the constrast is better) and larger screen size (more than 6"), something I could use for textbook reference rather than portability/annotations (which the sony is fine for).

Also I'd want it to be cheap (under $225 maybe on ebay etc?).

This elmiinates the nook/kindle/sony. So which one would you recommend?

"the simple textbook reader":
-not kindle/nook/sony
-relatively cheap
-doesnt need fancy features, just a reader
-(non-touchscreen screen)
-over 6" screen preferred
-decent handling of pdfs preferred.

Is there anything out there among the lesser known makers that I should be looking at?
The problem is that once you get larger than 6", the device market changes focus. The prices are higher because those devices are simply higher end style devices.

I assume that you've already looked at iRex and rejected their devices based numerous issues, including price and the various random rants posted in the related forae, but you should be aware that iRex handles touchscreens differently than Sony,* which means that there is no contrast reduction in the iRex screens.

*In iRex machines, the touchscreen is beneath the e-ink screen, not on top of it.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote