View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Ragmana
Ragmana began at the beginning.

Device: none
A few more details (and a question buried near the bottom)

It took me awhile (several unrelated attempts) to get this to work right, so I'm adding these details "to the record" in case anyone else needs them. I'm using Acrobat 8.0/ OSX 10.4.11; on other setups you might need to do some things differently.

1. Problem: No Adobe PDF Printer (from File > Print > "Printer" dropdown menu)

I (finally) figured out my PDF printer just wasn't installed. Go to Help > Repair Acrobat Installation. Make sure Adobe PDF Printer is checked. Run the repair.

Add the printer and you're set. (Print > Printer > Add Printer > Default Browser > select the PDF printer and install it.)

2. The there is too much whitespace/pages are "too big" for the contents
(i.e., odd pages have a large right margin, even pages a large left margin, and the page contents shift from side to side as a result.)

You could crop the alternative margins, but I found it much easier to play with these settings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimteacher View Post
2. Set Page Scaling to "Tile Large Pages", set Tile Scale to 100% and overlap to 0
Increasing the Tile Scale makes the contents fill the page a little better, so with a little trial-and-error you can get everything just about centered. Adjusting overlap a little an get everything lined up perfectly. The preview thumbnail is not helpful, though; you'll have to check the new PDF after printing to see whether the scale was too large/still too small. (A too-large scale will cause some or all pages to be split in half horizontally.)

3. All OCR-ed text is gone

Still have not figured out how to preserve OCR-ed text for files passed through the PDF Printer. (Can this be done?) Re-OCR-ing the file recompresses the image (especially if some pages need to be de-skewed properly), so there are some more compression artifacts. Just split the pages before running OCR, if you can.
Ragmana is offline   Reply With Quote