View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
EBooks on a Nano

Yes! You've read right! An iPod Nano!
Last week for my 50th, I was given a sleek black 8 gb iPod Nano. While rummaging through its features such as Music, (obviously; I'm a fusion jazz fan) Pictures, Audio Books, Podcasts, Contacts and games, I noticed a Notes feature. Digging further, although the LCD is tiny at 1 ¼" wide by 15/16" high, there was a small tutorial sample that was…well… legible…barely!

"I have to try it!" Said the little unreasonable voice in my head!

I followed the instructions and downloaded an ebook to the pod. It didn't spit it back out, so I unplugged the iPod and turned it on to the Notes section and there was that book! Whooppee! Now that was COOL!!!

I sat back and started to read. It was hard but bearable until the text stopped there, about 700 words in…
"Drats!"
I plugged it back, took out the book and put an other one in.

Same thing!

I was not about to give this up! Since there are no more user manuals with iPods, I went to the site and did some sniffing. Apparently there is a 4kb limit to each note, it meant you have to cut your books into tiny parcels and try to rename each one and upload to the Nano…Not worth it. It's about as long as typing that said book!

Sniffing further, there is a blog of users on the Apple iPod site, and in there I found the pearl!!! That was a link to a neat service. It's called iPod Ebook Creator.

The concept is simple, you upload your txt ebook, it is converted for you and posted back on the site as a zip file with all the instructions. Download it, unzip and voilà! All you need to do is install on the iPod and read.

All the creator wants in exchange is that you grace him with one of the gifts on his Amazon wish list.

After installing the book on the Ipod I started to read it. Ten minutes in I was crying my eyes out and believe me, it was not because of the story! Now that thing is tiny!

Sure! It won't beat an eink reader but, the size of the Nano, its portability, the geekyness factor and the fact that it's always with me makes it fun and way cool! Now I see where you were going with the smart phones Bob!

The book I had converted was roughly 112 pages long at 10 points, more precisely a word count of 51,158. It was converted to 73 linked files.

Now that is Mobile Reading!

Moderator's Note: I'm sorry Yvan... I had to remove the attachment because it is a copyrighted file. (In fact, it's one of the files that caused the shutdown of Blackmask because of legal action.) If you like, please feel free to post a non-copyrighted text as an example, though! - Bob

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 04-11-2007 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Correcting a terrible blunder I made...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote