View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Y'know, I can't tell if this is a smart move or not.
I'm not sure either but I'm glad it is happening. This will give me a chance to check out the Que, nook, and the Sony Daily Edition before deciding which to buy to replace my Sony 505 (which my wife wants). There are things I really like about the nook, but it really peeves me that my member discount and my B&N gift cards are useless for either buying the nook or buying an ebook. Had they not been worthless, I probably would have preordered the nook because I like buying my pbooks at B&N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
The thing I don't get is, why bring PL into the store? It almost seems like B&N could've beaten PL to market with their own large-screen reader....
I suspect -- but obviously do not know -- that this is a way for B&N to shore up another market against Amazon. Many business execs who buy books probably think Amazon first. By giving them a reason to come into a B&N store (to check out the Que) and to help Plastic Logic sell the Que to the business market, B&N is attempting to increase its share of business exec book buyers.

Also, it is not just the size of the Que, it is the features of the Que. Que doesn't appear to be primarily aimed at ebook reading like the nook. It really is a business laptop in another guise. This could well benefit both parties. I personally think iRex, which has the between-size screen at 8.1 inches, would also make a good partner for B&N in its competition with Amazon.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote