View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #28
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Versus what? Sony announced not to long ago that they have been astounded by the success of their Connect eBook store and it beat all of their projections.
Sony Board Member 1: So how many people do we think will be suckered into paying hardcover price for an eBook that they can't read on any other device?
Sony Board Member 2: 10 maybe 20 max.
--- a few months later ---
Sony Board Member 1: Hey! 30 people paid money to rent our overpriced eBooks.
Sony Board Member 2: 30! Wow, this beat all our projections!

Quote:
What does that have to do with how they are priced?
Prices are set based primarily on 2 factors:
1. How much does it cost?
2. What will consumers pay for it?

If people are aware that they don't buy DRMed content, they will demand a much lower price for it.

Quote:
Anyone who has been on this board for a bit is well aware of your stance against DRM, and that is fine. DRM is a disadvantage to be weighed against the advantages according to a person's needs. Even though I don't buy DRM-controlled music in iTunes I can see why other people might. And I do buy DRM-controlled eBooks because for me the advantage is greater than the disadvantage. Apparently that is not the same for you, but I wish you could at least realize that your situation is not the same as everyone else's.
I don't believe you are accurately aware of my stand on DRM.

When media has DRM on it, it's not a "sale". When I purchase a paper book, it's a sale. I can do whatever I want to with that paper book - read it wherever I want, use it however I want, resell it, etc. I own the physical book.

If I pay money for a DRMed eBook, it's a "license" - not a sale. All my rights to use that eBook are eliminated by that license.

Now, if I know that from the start, I take that into consideration when I decide my purchase. But (IHMO) most eBook stores are committing fraud. They are telling consumers that they are "buying" an eBook when what they are actually doing is "renting" it.

As I said before, "how many people would pay purchase price to rent a video from Blockbuster?" I doubt you'd find many people who would do that.

That's what I'm taking about.

I take this stand on DRM to make people aware. If you want to waste your money, you are free to do so. It's your money. If you see some advantage (sorry, I can't see any) to DRMed eBooks, then that's your decision. But you are aware of what you are doing. Most people who pay money for DRMed content aren't aware of what they paid money for - and would probably be shocked to see how little they received for their money.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote