Thread: PRS-500 pythonized PDFrasterFarian
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 02:10 AM   #10
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
PyQt will work on windows, and without [significant] dependencies?

Anyway, what's certain is that we need to split the project up into a backend and frontend. The backend could then be used by other people for their front-ends. It should also be modular, so that, e.g., people could pass to it documents like pdfs or they could pass raw images and have them be post-processed and collated. Or they might pass a pdf and the output resolution, and then receive a folder of images they could collate themselves. Thus, the back end could be extended for use with unforseen input and output formats.

Thus the backend is in three parts: a rasterizing stage (this stage is capable of autocropping, it can also produce output directly for the frontend for showing previews and for setting manual cropping), a processing stage (which takes lists of images, cropping parameters, processing parameters, etc.), and a collating stage.

One fun question is how can the processing stage be made better. Right now it's a dilate and a sharpening. The dilate is straightforward but the sharpening has many parameters. I used defaults for PDFR 2.1 but tweaked them for 2.2 for more effect. I don't think anyone actually got to see the 2.2 changes, but Ashkulz currently feels the benefits of sharpening are negligible (at least on his monochrome LCD device).

I disagree, but what I think is certain is that in the vast world of photoshop filters, there's gotta be something impressive. Come on... who here's been C&Ping beavers on monkeys and passing them off as paris hilton pics? Speak up!
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote