View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #98
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
I just scanned through this thread again and I don't see the author that inspired me, at age 8, to cover the floor of my bedroom with hundreds of cut out paper spaceships and conduct grand fleet maneuvers. His work later lead me to learn graphics programing and to spend two weeks in the library teaching myself matrix trigonometry so I could model the local (<20 lightyears) space on an incredibly primitive computer.

E. E. "Doc" Smith's Lensmen series.

Dated but oh so good.

<where is my space cadet smilie?>
Small press Old Earth Books has lovely trade paperback versions:
http://www.oldearthbooks.com/ee_smith.htm

I have the boxed set, and the proprietor of OEB is an old friend.

The first of the series, _Triplanetary_ , is available through Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/s#a9515 along with an assortment of other Smith books, and is also in MR's ebook area in IMP, LRF, and PRC format, converted by MR users. (The PG version is the magazine serial, under a separate copyright which was not renewed.)

Yes, dated but lots of fun, and considered the archetypal "space opera", Whenever you think Smith can't get wilder, rest assured he has a topper up his sleeve.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote