View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
Red face OOPS! Sorry

Shaggy,

Yes, you are right; I stand corrected, and offer my sincere apology.

Agreeing with Mr. Franklin that “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” I will go further than recommending caution to those who use their DR’s with the cable attached. The mini USB plug that comes with the DR affords too much leverage against the socket in the event of any mishap; I have strained mine while shifting my position in my chair. I think it is not just mishaps, but repeated insertions and removal, with the associated wiggling, that takes a toll on the solder joints. I have recommended elsewhere using a 12” left-angled Mini B USB extension cable; If one of these is installed around the DR, under the corners, so that it exits at top, it will provide effective strain relief, and keep the DR’s port from being damaged. It need never be removed. I hacked my own, but a commercial one can be found here. (The links here seem to change, if it doesn’t work, just go to http://www.usbfirewire.com/ and search for ‘Left angle mini B 12’ extension cable.’)

As another precautionary note:
I have iRex’s Deluxe Leather Case, and after first reading of Grimulkin’s cracked screen, I checked the flexibility of my cover, and I found it to be quite flexible. I have since installed an 8 1/2 x 10 inch piece of .060 inch 6061 T-6 aluminum behind the DR for additional support. I have made alternative suggestions here, post # 24

I would like to propose a boycott against damaging DR1000Ss.

Kent Walters
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote