View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #34
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Do we have to go through all this again with everybody? Okay, once again:
Probably much more than once.

Quote:
Sharing a digital copy is not theft. It is not theft under the law. It is not theft by definition. It is not even theft morally and ethically.
Let me be very clear about this. If you download a copy of a book that you did not have the legal right to (such as though purchase, library check out, or through expired copyright) then you are stealing. There is no middle ground here. It is not a moral issue, it is fact.

Quote:
Now, when you can actually tell the difference between one action and another, maybe, just maybe there'll be some discussion about intellectual copyright and 'supporting artists'.
I think I can, and have, told you the difference. This is not an ambiguous topic.

Quote:
And if you think purchasing an ebook or pbook by an author is supporting them, you've got another thing coming, matey, boy.
Authors are compensated according to the terms of their contract. Trying to present an argument that stealing is acceptable since they wouldn't be compensated anyway is a specious argument. You are not privy to their contracts and can at best make gross generalizations that do not justify theft.

Quote:
The next ignorant idiot who accuses me of theft won't get such a polite response.

Yours
A creator.
At no time have I accused you of theft; I have no specific knowledge of any of your actions. I have made direct responses to your public assertion that theft is a viable alternative.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote