View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #59
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yeah I'm there with "The Sound and The Fury" by Faulkner -- I've only made it about half-way through...it does seem like there is something there, but man!
I love that one! I wrote and re-wrote papers on it all thru college. Living in the south, it is familiar to have families like that. I just "got it" while the rest of my classmates struggled. Also, I was about 40 yrs old at the time, so I had a lot of experience with that sort of dysfunctional family by then. So I was able to make some nice A papers on it,you know, write it once, then just keep editing it for different classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I love Classics. Moby Dick's one of my all time favorites.

I will probably load a lot of enmity on my humble self, but I just can't stomach Jane Austen on the whole and Pride and Prejudice more specifically. It's just so hard to get into and so dry ...
Me neither! If that had been me in real life, I would've run off with the first young soldier who offered me an escape from that tradition-strangled house also!

In my opinion - and this is only my opinion because of a bad experience, and I know the book is a masterpiece - Milton's Paradise Lost. I've mentioned that on other threads. In high school, I was in the advanced group, so the lit teacher assigned it to us. It was too heavy and dark for me at that age, and I've had an aversion to it ever since. Intellectually, I know it is a masterpiece and worthy of all these centuries of accolades, but I just can not make myself appreciate it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote