View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
My Pocket Pro's gone dead on me twice in the week-and-a-half I've had it, the last time yesterday. Both times it had lain around for about three days, fully charged and left turned on, unlocked, with a book open on screen. When I came back to use it again, I found the battery dead: the screen was frozen, all buttons unresponsive (except for the 4 beeps on certain keypresses), reset no workee. After charging to the point that it could be reset back to the main menu, then unplugging the USB cable, the battery indicator was solid white and a low power warning was issued when I tried to navigate the menu.

I've only read about a hundred pages on the Pocket Pro since I've had it, mainly just checking the device out, so whatever's draining the battery, it's not page turns.

I do most of my reading around the house on my 6" Astak EZReader, on which I've read several thousand pages and have experienced no similar battery problems, not even when it was new (I've had it for a few months now). I never turn it off and the battery life has been very good.

I recharged the Pocket Pro overnight last night. I know it's fully charged. I've left it on and will see how long it takes the battery to discharge just sitting there.

I wrote the first occurrence off to a fluke or inadequate charging, although I think I let it go for about 14 or 15 hours the first time. The second occurrence has me concerned.

I'm curious as to whether my Pocket Pro is defective or not; maybe they're all like that. Hopefully people will report their experiences here in time for those of us with possibly defective units to return them. Or if it's not a defect, maybe we can find a work-around like turning them off between uses (assuming that stops the battery drain).

But it's early times yet. Maybe it just needs a few charge cycles. We'll see.

Other than that, I really like it.

And, SDRebel, I had hell getting mine going again after it died the second time, and I'm still not sure exactly what started it again, but I _think_ it was this: plug in the USB cable. Nothing will appear to happen (maybe you'll get the beeps, I don't remember). Wait a couple of minutes. Press the reset button in the back. Nothing will appear to happen. Just leave it plugged in, don't touch anything, and in about 3 to 5 minutes or so, the screen should clear from whatever was frozen on it, and return you to the main menu. Then of course just leave it plugged in to charge.

I also tried a bunch of stuff before this, but I don't think any of it did anything. Good luck with it.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote