View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
First, most of what you need to know is XHTML and CSS. To learn more about these, head to w3schools. I highly recommend visiting there to learn more about html. The pther resource you'll find helpful is the Calibre user manual.

You are actually starting off with a html file that has a complex link system. Another option is to download my version and work from that.

And you're right, I just tried converting the New testament, and it stuffed up the links

as to your questions:

1. I defined a heading as anything within a pair of <hn> </hn> tags, where n is a number from 1 to 6. The //h2 I referred to can be found in the Table of Contents section of Calibre, and is an XPath expression. In this case, the //h2 referrs to any <h2> </h2> pair of tags.

2. Page breaks add breaks in the page. On an eBook reader, this usually means anything before (or after) gets put on a new page, or screen. When I said wrap tags, I simply meant enclose the text you want changed with a pair of tags.

3. Table of Contents can refer to two things. External TOC, and inline TOC. An external TOC is one that exists in the tox.ncx file (in the epub). Devices read this file and (hopefully) give the user some sort of way of navigating it. I do not know how the cybook handles external TOC I'm afraid. You'll have to experiment yourself. This is what my bible uses.
An inline TOC is what Ted's bible uses. It is the links within an HTML file that allows the reader to navigate within the file.
An ebook can have BOTH types of navigation for maximum compatibility, and often an external TOC can be generated from an inline one. Calibre tries to do this by default.

4. Metadata is stuff like "title", "author" etc. This is generally the information an eBook reader uses to display book title and author in its database. A book with no metadata will often show on a device as having an "unknown" title and/or author. This is device dependant though.

I hope this has been some sort of help for you. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. This isn't the sort of place where we tell you "Don't ask us - go and RTFM!"
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote