View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Another Sherlock Holmes fan here Sentimental reasons, my dad used to read them to me. My other childhood favourite which I keep re-reading is Alice in Wonderland, I still have the illustrated version my grandmother gave me.

Two non-kid books which hold a special place for me are Wuthering Heights (the first 'classic' I ever really enjoyed) and The Chrysalids (first sci-fi I ever enjoyed). I have read both of them multiple times.

Also, I am not sure this is a 'favourite' but I had to read Alice Munro's Lives of Girls and Women about 4 times in university. They like to pick a Canadian book for the first year course for the people who won't take English again, and then it came up again in Canadian Literature, Post-Colonial Literature and Women in Literature. It was a fine book, but I am not sure I would choose it four times if I didn't have to

The funny thing is, every lit major I have ever known had a book like this. My dad swears he had to read Great Expectations about 6 times.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote