View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #65
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not all writing is the same, Moejoe. When I wrote my physics textbooks, I did so for crass commercial reasons - to make money. I got a contract for it, I wrote the books, I got paid. Simple as that. No "passion" involved, I'm afraid. It was a job, like any other.
Now you're onto something with what you said. You were paid for a job, a job I could no more do than most (I am clueless when it comes to science). What you were doing was providing a specialized service and that kind of fixed payment for work done model will continue unabated in the future. Not everyone can write a physics book, most people can write fiction (look at Dan Brown).

In fact I'd think most writers would love the contract work as described above, I know I would have little problem with it if I was paid a living wage to produce X amount of books per year for a company. Because then it is a job, there is no pretense to art or passion, which the publishing industry still seems to hold onto.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote