View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by duskdawns View Post
This is a good suggestion. I've already done this...now if only the Amazon freebies would be available to those without a Kindle...
heh... we can dream, right ?

Quote:
Zelda Pinwheel and Anemic Oak, thanks for pointing out that the file is actually ePub and not PDF. I just assumed it was PDF since that's what the publishers have always given away until now, and also because Adobe DE opened up the ebook automatically and I did not look at the file extension.
no worries. i can understand why you'd expect to get a pdf from a publisher.

Quote:
I agree that the switch to ePub is a good thing; however, the limited time to read/access the file is not. My public library lends e-books for 3 week periods, which is longer than what this is available for, not to mention that I can read the ebooks when it is convenient for me rather than right away, which may not fit in my schedule. Plus I can re-check out the library ebook when they expire, but this is no longer accessible later. Since the Amazon and Sony versions are real free ebook giveaways, shouldn't the Simon & Schuster one be too? I hope this is a one-time aberration on the publisher's part, and not a long-term trend wherein the publisher "lends" you an ebook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I complained to them about the time limit - it was done on purpose and they said they would be changing the web site to show that it is a "sneak peek" version of the book (easier to read than on the PC, if your reader does epub, I guess, but I'll skip them from now on).
this "free BUT only for 2 weeks" thing is pretty ridiculous. either give away the book, or don't give away the book, but the "right hand giveth and the left hand taketh away" game is going to get old really fast. and if the other versions are not time-limited, as duskdawn suggests (i haven't checked) it's even more egregious. perhaps we should *all* write to the publisher to complain (politely ! but firmly) about that.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote