Thread: Seriousness Learning a new language
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
As for those from the UK and Australia, I can hardly discern what nonsense they are spouting.

I wish they would learn to use the language as it was intended.
I know, right??? The worst thing for me is that they spell words incorrectly! They stick all these "U" in everywhere. Canadians do that, too!

Nah, I love different accents. Some are harder to understand than others.

I think the idea that European countries are in closer proximity to a lot of different languages is spot-on. There are definitely various languages in the US as well, in their own microcosms. I took German and Norwegian, and learned Navajo, and was passable in all three of those languages, but certainly not fluent. When I learned each new language, the old ones sort of got sucked into the new one. years later, I found myself trying to put a sentence together and realizing I had German and Norwegian all stuck together in there. No wonder those German tourists looked at me like I was nuts ...

So I am bilingual, and have learned bits and pieces of a few more languages, but it almost feels like my brain is full and I can't fit any more languages in there. I know I'm not concentrating on any other language other than that two I'm fluent in, because there isn't any great need for it. I speak those two languages daily in my job; I don't need to speak another language in my daily life.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 06-25-2009 at 03:03 AM.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote