View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #11
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I bought the Zune 8GB for my gf for Christmas. Maybe my timing was just bad (although I don't imagine I'd be able to afford the new version, when it comes out). I do have to wonder, though, what the benefit of OLED would be in this situation, besides an increase in battery life. I doubt OLEDs will make better reading devices than LCD devices. The OLED displays emit light the same way LCDs do. The only difference is that there's no backlighting. OLEDs are similar to e-ink in that they don't use light to produce black, but an OLED uses light to produce everything but black. In fact, because OLEDs are brighter, such a display might cause more eye strain for reading than your typical LCD screen.

On the other hand, the fact that OLEDs can be printed on flexible surfaces means that they might come in handy for foldable e-books. I suppose that's a good thing.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote