View Single Post
Old Today, 09:33 AM   #4
Franco
Junior Member
Franco began at the beginning.
 
Franco's Avatar
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2026
Location: Argentina
Device: kindle 10th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
"Processing happens on our servers: the file is stored in Google Cloud Storage and the text is sent to Google's Gemini API to generate the entries."

Total fail in privacy (US Gov can know what you are reading), environment and morality as Gemini is built using violated copyright works.

Needs Internet.

Subscription.

Some epubs don't even have chapters.
Fair points, let me explain:

Privacy: It isn’t a local tool. Your EPUB is uploaded and kept privately in Google Cloud Storage, so the entries can be built and maintained. It’s used only for that, it’s never shown to or downloadable by anyone, and it’s deleted when you delete the book or your account. Its text is processed with Google’s Gemini API, and what’s sent there carries no account identifier: Gemini isn’t told who uploaded the book or who is reading it. No platform ever receives your book titles or reading activity. Still, anything held with a cloud provider is subject to whatever legal process that provider is, so if that’s a dealbreaker, a fully local tool is the right choice and this isn’t one.

Gemini and copyright: I can’t dispute that and won’t try to talk you out of it. I use Google’s model, I don’t train my own, and I can’t vouch for what went into theirs during training. It’s a legitimate reason to pass.

Internet: Building a book needs a connection, because that part runs on a server. Once a book has synced, the app works fully offline: the glossary, recaps, relationships and arcs all live on your phone. It only needs to reconnect once in a while to confirm the subscription.

Subscription: Yes, it is one. I explained why in the post, but I get that it’s a no for some people. I wished I could offer it for free and I'm actively working to improve performance so I can reduce its price.

EPUBs without chapters: Also true, and it’s a real limit. Everything is filtered by chapter, so a file with no chapter structure has nothing to filter by. The app tries to rebuild chapters from the headings. If it isn’t confident, it stops and shows you what it found so you can mark where chapters begin, or cancel and get the slot back. A file with no structure at all is a bad fit.

I’m trying to build something that lets you keep enjoying a long book without stopping to look things up or getting spoiled by what you find. The reading itself stays yours, in whatever app you already use.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote