Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig
I used an HD10 Fire tablet for a long time. It was fine for watching movies, doing Zoom calls, and reading email. But not much else. Even basic web surfing was a poor experience. You can run Alexa on a basic HD10 tablet too, if you want. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ tablet a little over a year ago. That's a low-end Samsung model. But it absolutely blows away the Fire HD10. Not even in the same ballpark. And the A9+ only cost $179 with 8Gb ram and 256Gb storage (256Gb was a rare find in this tablet back then, and the $179 was an excellent sale price that I just randomly stumbled into). Consider that an HD10 currently costs $155 with 4Gb ram, 32Gb storage, a much lesser CPU, and lower resolution screen.
|
I'm getting a new tablet this Black Friday to replace a very old Fire 7 tab (2019) 1GB RAM & 16GB storage. I was quite happy with how it handled the things I did with it. But now it's too sluggish and struggles with some apps, so it's time to upgrade.
My first choice was just to get another Fire Tab. I liked the 7-inch size, but Amazon killed it. So bumping up led me to the Fire HD 8 (2022) 2GB RAM & 32GB storage for $55. But then Amazon pulls a surprise and kills the entire Fire Tab line. The new Alexa Tabs are too expensive for my needs, so they're completely out of the question. Amazon promises to support the Fire Tabs for another four years, but I don't trust them after what they did to older Kindles and their history of abruptly pulling the plug on previous devices (I'm looking at you Fire Phone).
So now, I'm looking at the Lenovo Tab One (2025) 4GB RAM & 64GB storage for $100. So with that huge upgrade in specs (OS, CPU, RAM, storage), I could start using it for other things instead of using my Chromebook.
In its early days, Amazon used to be nice to deal with. But those days are long gone.