View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I would love to see Amazon have a feature to flag an error. Then when you connect, they could upload your flags and submit it to the publisher. The publisher would, of course, have to actually care but this would be such a simple way to crowdsource. Amazon's integration between device and store puts them in a good place to do this.

The biggest editing problems I've seen have been in back catalog books, but even my most egregious Topaz book didn't have an error per page, though it did have a couple pages with swaths of missing text. The newer releases seem to be about the same quality as their paper counterparts: not perfect but not omg-did-no-one-read-this-before-it-went-out bad. I think the new books have a proofed digital text as a source. The back catalog stuff is often OCRed and there's less profit to be had from it. They're simply not going to pay what it takes get the quality we want for those titles which is why, as many here have said, they should seriously consider crowdsource.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote