View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 07:21 PM   #53
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
Rendering speed alone would be enough reason for me to make a call to Picsel Technologies. Take a look at the video.

Of course an alternative would be to find out what is going on behind the scenes of the Picsel Browser and then try to rewrite XPDF and all the other viewers. IMHO the other way around of supplying reader for DRM and so on for a Picsel Browser seems to be much more promising for me. Because at the end of the day I need a perfect software for a perfect hardware and not just a perfect hardware.
Technically the iLiad isn't using xpdf, its using poppler with an iRex supplied front end. I've got a couple more speed ups for the iRex code that affect actual drawing to the screen time that will shave a bit off the throwing up the raster time.

But at this point, after converting to 8 bit grey with no ED, we're rapidly reaching the point of diminishing returns vs the e-Ink panel update overhead. They really did do a good job on their threaded rendering engine (other than not planning for re-use). Running 8 bit lean like it is now I have a hard time out pacing it.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote