View Single Post
Old 05-01-2024, 12:54 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkpsusmitaa View Post
Mr. BetterRed, I had been to your suggested webpage.The first reply itself says that "writing WITH Sigil is generally a bad idea".
Sigil is an editor for ePub files. Most people write the original ebook in a WYSIWYG word processor and then use Sigil to create a standards compliant ePub using that file as input. In your case, you might to look at tools such as zim2epub to convert your .zim files to .epub files.

Quote:
Presently, I am concerned with Indexing. If you say that calibre doesn't have a tool to index, then it is futile to continue learning Calibre for this purpose.

But I have read books in Calibre, each of which has a wonderfully linked index at the end of each book. The ebook-editor accompanying the package `calibre`, run by its desktop icon, or command `ebook-edit`, shows an index at the end of a book as an xml file,
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
so wonderfully laid out, with extensively indexed word-list, each of which faithfully leads to the linked text.
The code you posted is simply the header lines for an ePub2 xhtml file missing the DOCTYPE required by the ePub which calibre tends to leave out.

The index is created by a tool external to calibre. As mentioned, Sigil does have an index creation tool.

Quote:
In zim, extensive cross-linking can be accomplished with Tags. But I haven't learnt zim that much to determine if I could use indexing there.

I am an author, a creator. I am not a programmer or a developer. So I find myself limited on this front.
Basically, you can either learn how to create your own indexes or you can pay someone else to do so. Quite a few authors prefer the second approach.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote