View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 04:00 PM   #1
BiduleMachin
BiduleMachin began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Air 3 C
Lightbulb Best way to de-google Note Air 3 C ?

Hi,

I just bought an Onyx Boox Note Air 3C, it will arrive in the coming weeks.

I am a bit familiar with rooting and custom ROM world on Android phones. I had multiple Xiaomi phone (and still have a POCO) that I choosed specifically because they had a community behind it making custom software and custom ROMs for them. That allows me to install a ROM without any Google service, and use microG to replace them. I then use F-Droid and if needed Aurora Store to get my apps.

Given that the Air 3C is Android, my question is the following :
How close can I get to what I am doing on my Android phone with the Air 3C ?

The best of the best would be to have a custom ROM like LineageOS and all its derivatives (crDroid, SparkOS, EvolutionX....). But I guess I can forget that, as there is probably not enough interest in the device for it. Is that right ?

Then, the second choice would be to de-google as much as possible the official ROM. But before doing that, I would feel much safer if I know that there is a way to recover the device to the factory OS. With Xiaomi phones, the manufacturer provides all its ROMs in packages that can be installed via Fastboot. This works 100% of the time (at least with what I am doing) to recover the device.
Is such thing available for Air 3C ?
Can the OS ROM be downloaded from the manufacturer website or on a third party side ?
Is it possible to unlock the bootloader ?
Is it possible to install tools to the recovery partition such as TWRP or similar ?
Can Magisk be installed without more risk than any normal Android phone ?

I know some ways to remove Google services. But I guess the Air 3C has some very specific components that are needed to manage specificities of the screen or some other hardware. What things should I be careful not to remove if I want to de-google the device ?

That is a lot of questions and I'm sorry for that. I would be very happy to read about anything you would have to answer about the subject. Even better, if you have already tried with or without success such things on this device, I would love getting some advices from you.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day !
BiduleMachin is offline   Reply With Quote