Old 04-28-2024, 06:52 PM   #13
betelguese
Enthusiast
betelguese began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is your computer slow?
No, my computer is perfectly fine, everything snappy and optimized for high performance (no unnecessary processes in the background, minimal scheduled tasks and services, etc). Dell XPS 9710 with high specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmoore View Post
I had issues with one version of Sumutra (can't remember which because I deleted it).
But SumatraPDF-3.3.3-64.exe and the prelease work fine.

As a comparison, they load Pickwick Papers (953 pages) (see https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/580.epub3.images ) in less than a second for version 3.3.3 . This is on my 5 year old Windows 10 machine.

Calibre Viewer on the other hand has always been slow and takes about 10 seconds before anything appears to happen and another 5 seconds until I can start reading.
Wow, I downloaded that EPUB for a test and yes, SumatraPDF opens it instantly, first EPUB I get this positive result! But the reason might be that this EPUB only has text, no images at all. By the way, I have the latest SumatraPDF v3.5.2 64bit. Calibre on the other hand opens it faster than the other EPUBs I have but still much slower than Sumatra (latest Calibre v7.9.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Calibre Viewer became slow when the version 4.x was introduced and the viewer was completely rewritten. Before that the viewer was pretty snappy. For this reason I still use the viewer from 3.48 (Calibre itself is current).
How can you update Calibre to latest version while keeping an older version of the viewer? Also, any way of downloading the Viewer from version 3.48 so I can test it? I was able to download Calibre v3.48 but not the viewer as a standalone. Thanks

Last edited by betelguese; 04-28-2024 at 06:54 PM.
betelguese is offline   Reply With Quote