View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 04:40 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I bought the Kindle Scribe for the larger screen. I really didn't care about note taking on it. But since I own the thing, I figured I would give it a try.

I wrote a few lines of notes and wanted to convert them to text, and the only way to do that is to email it to myself?? Is that right?

Why can't it do it on the Kindle?

Back in the 1990s I had an Apple Newton, and you would write on the screen and when you stopped writing, it would convert whatever you wrote to text and remove your handwriting off the page.
I had a Newton briefly, it was terrible at HWR, or at least you needed to learn its HW style. More seriously it could not even play chess. I sold it first chance I got.

Scribe has no on-board handwriting conversion service.

However when exporting with text, one of the options converts the text with the cloud service, sends it to the Scribe, and lets you review and make corrections on device before sending it (or cancelling).

Personally, I want it to stay handwritten so I prefer this approach. There is no 100% accurate HWR and I don't want to have to correct it constantly. I just want use it like pen and paper.

I have an iPad if I want to do text entry with handwriting, but I don't do much of it. It's pretty accurate, but it still makes mistakes, which interrupts my creative flow because I feel compelled to stop and correct it.

But I would like Notebooks indexed so I can search for some text in notebooks.

It could be another client of the existing conversion service, but would take the output, index it, and send the index to Scribe as part of sync. They could also index sticky notes and annotations to personal documents converted from PDF.

While this seems quite doable, I don't think Amazon will do that either. I think they regard Scribe as feature complete for the market segment they are targeting.

And if you were to survey Scribe owners they would probably rank dozens of other features ahead of this.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-11-2024 at 05:26 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote