View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 08:41 AM   #11
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hmm. I've always wondered why people use desktop clients. I've never used one; I access all my email online. The main reason for this is the size of my inbox - over 70 GB now, it would be hard to find enough space for it on my computer, even with its 1 TB drive (mostly full by now, due to my huge collection of hi-res wallpapers, movies/TV series and ebooks; I just love to hoard digital stuff). Also I live in a city and power failures or internet outages are very rare here, so that's another reason. For backup I do download my inbox regularly and store it on an external drive.

I guess a desktop client may come in handy if you use several email accounts, but I only really use one Gmail account for 99% of my email, so there goes the third reason for using a desktop client.

I've had Thunderbird ever since I switched to Linux full time. In addition to having multiple accounts flowing into one place (I've got several Gmail accounts, an Outlook, and a legacy Hotmail account), I had heard a few horror stories of people's Gmail accounts being banned for spurious reasons with no recourse; and so I decided having a local copy of all of my emails would be a good idea.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote