View Single Post
Old 04-05-2024, 01:21 PM   #3
Jaws
JCL Punch-Card Collector
Jaws began at the beginning.

Device: Aggressively Device Independent
Quote:
Avoid replacing the original cover in the book to prevent the change of the file name during conversion. In the metadata tab of the conversion options select "Use cover from source file".
This seems to make no difference at all, in my experience — it's always renamed to "titlepage.xhtml".
  • On occasion, I will import a new cover file, especially when the publisher has one of its generic text-only or publisher's-uniform-graphic covers. No difference.
  • Much more often, I will resize the cover from humungous-artist-and-marketing-department-ego-gratifying to workable-on-screen-in-a-list (nobody needs a cruddy-quality 2500-pixel-tall reduction of a 4500-pixel-tall-as-printed cover that will be further reduced to fit on a part of a 1080-pixel-tall screen in the file listing), and prefer to do that before conversion so I don't then have to go back in the editor into the cover page and redit the width and height of the display by hand. Due to publisher technological impairment and other foolishness, such as that of some software vendors whose products are often misused to produce e-books from print-based files, doing this automatically would be at best error-prone. No difference.
  • When the cover isn't touched prior to conversion, it's renamed regardless.
Since I'm not familiar with all of the readers out there, is there perhaps some backward-compatibility issue such that some readers require the "titlepage.xhtml" filename in an epub input, and so that's being maintained? I can at least understand that, even while I disagree with it and stalk off muttering about the insanity of Berners-Lee misnaming the default filename in HTML as "index.htm" without regard to what "index" actually means... (There's a lot of such foolishness in computing. And in publishing. And, well, darned near everywhere.)
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote