View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 09:56 AM   #31765
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
They're pulpish and ridiculous, but they were fun to read. They have a certain narrative drive (much like the literary writer Thomas Wolfe) that compels reading - especially when one is young and easily influenced.

Be aware, however, that the portrayal of women is outlandishly humorous due to the ridiculous dialogue. (Think Heinlein in 'The Number of the Beast' [recently fully published as 'The Pursuit of the Pankera: A Parallel Novel About Parallel Universes'] a work I attempted to read in my adult years, one that gave me a bad case of gastrointestinal distress...)

But still....I remember the Lensman Series (when I first encountered them as a child), as being fun to read.
Just finished Second Stage Lensmen. Here are my comments.

Spoiler:

Similar to the first two, but with the minor changes having an oversized impact on the ending. Once again the Arisians impact was minimized, but also there was only one word mention of the real nature of Fossten, easily overlooked, if one had not read the entire tetrology. The line was "When did you leave Eddore. "
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote