View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 09:16 AM   #31763
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I've been meaning to read Lensmen because it was the inspiration for DC's Green Lantern Corps. I do have the anime of Lensmen but I haven't watched since shortly after getting the laserdisc about 20+ years ago.
They're pulpish and ridiculous, but they were fun to read. They have a certain narrative drive (much like the literary writer Thomas Wolfe) that compels reading - especially when one is young and easily influenced.

Be aware, however, that the portrayal of women is outlandishly humorous due to the ridiculous dialogue. (Think Heinlein in 'The Number of the Beast' [recently fully published as 'The Pursuit of the Pankera: A Parallel Novel About Parallel Universes'] a work I attempted to read in my adult years, one that gave me a bad case of gastrointestinal distress...)

But still....I remember the Lensman Series (when I first encountered them as a child), as being fun to read.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote