Thread: Aura extremely slow N514
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 02:24 PM   #1
svennd
svennd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
extremely slow N514

Hey all

I picked up a few new books, and wanted to read on my old trusty Kobo, but it was extremly slow to respond. Like a few minutes to load the epub, and then page turns seemed like not-responding.

I tried to factory reset it, however over-night the screen didn't change from the "are you sure screen". (with the button clearly clicked). I charged it from the wall. I used the reset button to reboot.

And now I tried to upgrade the firmware, however the kobo desktop doesn't want to help me as I previously used a email to login and now i used facebook... with the same email. So now it tells me to logout the desktop since its a "different" email (desktop vs e-reader). When I want to login by e-mail the desktop tells me I used facebook... By god they make it easy.

I now tried to download the latest update and extract it in .kobo/ to see if that works.

To me it looks like the flash storage is broken of sorts ? Did anyone experience this ? The screen is fine, since it is able to change screen reliably. I checked some disassembly video's and I don't think its user-replaceable. Is there a way to boot from the tf/sd card ? Or any other idea's ?

I know buying a new one is the most likely solution, but its a bit a shame to go a perfectly working e-ink screen go to the waste
svennd is offline   Reply With Quote