Thread: TCL NxtPaper 11
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 02:36 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Interfacing and Peripherals

Leaving aside the usefulness for reading, which is nearly perfect if you manually set the brightness so the virtual paper is just slightly dimmer than laser / copier paper (which is brighter than all but POD books), expanding the usefulness needs an OTG adaptor for one USB-A device or an OTG adaptor and a USB hub.

I tested 4 hubs that work with laptops and my Optiplex 7050 workstation. I also tested three USB-C OTG to USB-A adaptor solutions (all worked). I have also some USB-C plug to micro and mini sockets. None do OTG. Some are power only, just to charge a USB-C device (slowly) using a micro or mini charging cable. One of each kind had also data, and then a micro USB OTG to USB-A adaptor worked, or keyboards or hubs with OTG wired mini or micro plugs.

The most demanding peripheral that works is the USB TV stick for a laptop or PC.

First using an all-in-one stubby USB-C OTG USB-A socket.
1) Metal case and coax optional power jack socket. Uses a mini USB to USB-A. It didn't work at all, even with a portable USB Keyboard, with or without power.

2) Really cheap USB 2.0 €2 transparent blue plastic with a socket on each of four sides and integral USB-A plug. The TV stick didn't work, but mouse, memory stick. keyboard and Kobo Sage did, all simultaneously. I changed the cable for a mini-USB OTG cable off a broken folio USB keyboard for a 6" tablet and tried it with USB-C to mini-USB socket. Same result. I added a pair of parallel Schottky rectifiers in series with +5V and coax jack socket for optional power and everything except the USB TV stick worked, with or without power. I'll use this for Mini-USB gadgets as hub without need for a separate OTG adaptor.

3) A cheap USB 2.0 hub, white plastic, 3 sockets on top and one at end with integral USB-A cable. Everything except the TV stick worked.

4) A real USB 3.0 hub with integral USB-A cable (Amazon link & under £11), but USB 3.0 spec. Everything including the USB TV stick (which works on a a laptop USB-A 2.0 port) works. On the laptop 3.0 port with a USB 3.0 1Gbps ethernet adaptor I get 550 Mbps on the fibre test (same as workstation on 1 Gbps cable built in port).

I tried the TV Stick on a Y cable with USB-A socket for power, designed to put DVD player/writer etc on a low power USP port. This allowed TV stick to have separate power, but naturally doesn't charge the tablet.

I also used a short cable USB-C OTG to USB-A socket. Less scary than direct adaptor and it was fine with everything.

So how to charge the tablet while a USB device is connected? This was a problem with mini and micro USB OTG, though a few models had a non-standard port that allowed a special Y cable to charge. I've one Juno 10 tablet that only slow charges on micro USB and fast charges on a coax power connector. It runs the TV stick poorly being a budget rubbish tablet.

It's possible on some USB-C gadgets using a USB-C OTG USB-A socket adaptor with a USB-C power socket (Amazon under £7.50), which arrived at lunchtime. No assurance it would work, but it does, though a little fussy on order of connecting. The USB TV stick (or the stick via USB 3.0 hub) is powered from tablet, or if the external power USB-C (charger or power bank) is plugged in the Tablet is charged, the OTG mode to USB-A socket works and the USB-A devices are powered. Magical.

None of my USB CD/DVD devices work on cheap Android 8.0 tablet or the TCL NxtPaper 11, though I'm sure something Android worked in the past. So use SD card or memory stick and ripped files of CD / DVD etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote