View Single Post
Old 02-28-2024, 05:13 PM   #1
_kind_le
Enthusiast
_kind_le began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th gen.
ePUB to AZW3 or still to MOBI

Hello folks,

In 2022 Amazon announced a start of deprecation process of MOBI format support. And so far it affected only "Send to Kindle" service (which allows you to send your existing MOBI "3rd party" books to your Kindle device). Also they made a devision - all books from their store are Books and from "Send to Kindle" - now are Docs. Fortunately I'm not using that service so all my books successfully managed by Calibre and are a part of device's Book Library.

Since you can still legally use MOBI files over Calibre/USB and there is no any signs that Amazon will remove MOBI support from e-readers (I guess because of backward compatibility since amount of MOBI books are significant) - is there any advantage to convert ePub to AZW3 instead of MOBI?

I read that AZW3 is the same ePub + Amazon's proprietary DRM, other people say MOBI is the same as ePub but just older. So think it's pretty easy to convert from old one to new one format without any losses but not vice versa so conversion ePub -> AZW3 seems like more robust solution.

Also noticed that publishers aren not supplying small e-book stores with MOBI format anymore (in my case majority are ePub, FB2 and RTF) I have this kind of question:

Does Calibre better do conversion ePub -> AZW3 or ePub -> MOBI (if we're talking about text books, without tons of images/fancy layouts) or better to use some special tool like "Kindle Previewer" to convert from ePub?

What is your experience overall?

Last edited by _kind_le; 02-28-2024 at 05:17 PM.
_kind_le is offline   Reply With Quote