View Single Post
Old 02-08-2024, 08:54 AM   #52
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I do not disagree with you about pushing boundaries and improving things.
And I am not advocating against epub3 or using epub3 features in any way (especially if still backwards compatible with epub2). But as a starting point keeping things simple is for me always the right way to form the basic nucleus. Then you can build off of that when your experience and expertise allows.

But again this is just my opinion and advice for people starting out in epub development.

Just like my advice for people editing every epub they own to remove "bloat" is to not do it unless the "bloat" actually makes a negative impact on performance.

But if a person does decide to remove "bloat", they need to be very very careful with css (due to inheritance and some readers injecting their own stylesheet) and they should not remove id attributes unless they have a full understanding of all of the places and ways ids/fragment can be used under both epub2 and epub3.

Hope that makes my comments clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Ok

With all respect, I disagree. The KISS rule is deprecated, maximun if we have the complete control of the layout and design. The modern epub must be a perfect epub3 ebook, with all the epub3 features, plus a perfect epub2 inside (epub2 ereaders can open epub3 ebooks and you know that more than anyone Kevin). Of that way, if the ereader (the device) supports the epub3 protocols, then the human reader will have the best reading experience; on the other hand, if the device is an old one, then the epub2 code will take place. The KISS rule is an old rule (of course, we have to work more but results are optimal).

And there is a big notice; the epub2 protocol is next to be deprecated. Why? Because KOBO have added practically full epub3 supports to its reades (in my tests, the only thing seems not to be implemented yet are popup footnotes/endnotes and there are issues with MathML). Anyone can test that with the Kobo readers for Android and iOS. I don't know if all eink models of Kobo have been uptades with the last version of the rendering engine but what I saw in android and ios is amazing! To read, for example, "Alice in Wonderland" (illustrated version) with epub3 code, compared with an epub2 version, is like to compare a Ferrari with a bike.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-08-2024 at 09:23 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote