View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 12:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
Hello, I’m a fairly experienced typesetter working in InDesign and I've recently been asked to begin producing epubs. Is there a guide somewhere about cleaning up InDesign code? For instance, I’ve seen people saying nested divs are bad, but I don’t exactly know why and what I should do about it. I got a couple of more questions, but I’ll wait to see if there isn’t such a guide first that already answers them. Thank you!
In terms of formatting, an eBook is not a pBook (paper book) so don't do things you would for a pBook. For example, don't make the chapter headers too large. Don't have any overall left/right margins as the software will allow us to set left/right margins. Don't use any line height as the software or fonts will allow us to set the line height. Don't use drop-caps or a large first letter as these do not work in too many cases. When you have a section break, do not use blank space. Put something in the space to mark the section break. Keep the main font size at the default size. Also, when you have offset text, use a <nblockquote> and not a <div> and doi not make offset text a smaller font size. Do not use embedded fonts. Where you want a sans-seif font, use font-family: sans-serif; in the CSS. Use a proper cover image and not a generic cover image. DO not put anything in the copyright that's related to pBooks such as the statement about the book not having a cover. Use high-resolution graphics of at least 1600 lines and this include the cover and the titlepage images.

That should be enough for now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote