View Single Post
Old 01-20-2024, 06:23 PM   #1
hondabf
Paranoid Monster
hondabf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Question How to add public keys to KOReader authorized_keys? (Kindle)

Following this guide I have enabled KOReader's SSH on my jailbreaked Kindle, but can't access to it from Filezilla because I don't know how to add a public key to the KOReader's authorized_keys file.

Without keys, Filezilla returns an "Access denied. Authentication failed" message (yes, I used "root" as user, and nothing for password), so I know it's connectable.

I have generated a pair of SSH keys through Putty. On Filezilla, I know I have to add the private key to the "SFTP Public Key Authentication" list, but how do I add the public key to KOReader's "dropbear_ecdsa_host_key"??

The first three lines are all gibberish. I am on Windows so I can't simply ">>cat". I have to add it manually, but it doesn't matter how many times I add the public key string, it makes the SSH unable to start.

Maybe I am messing up the file format and the plugin doesn't know what to do?

These are the several ways I tried adding the key string to the authorized_keys file:

1. below
Code:
gibberish characters
gibberish characters
gibberish characters

ecdsa-sha2-nistp256
keynumbershere

2. above

Code:
ecdsa-sha2-nistp256
keynumbershere

gibberish characters
gibberish characters
gibberish characters

3. delete gibberish characters

Code:
ecdsa-sha2-nistp256
keynumbershere

I KNOW usbnet exists, but since I don't have a Linux machine to do all the SSH magic, I fear I am going to brick my Kindle's in case I tried to do it on my Windows machine.

Thanks

Last edited by hondabf; 02-09-2024 at 01:19 AM. Reason: filezilla uppercases and code formatting
hondabf is offline   Reply With Quote