View Single Post
Old 01-20-2024, 02:22 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
For the most part, my experience has been the opposite.
Mostly I'm with j.p.s. on this, though my default Linux image viewer gets confused if a .png is ending in .jpg. Windows does pretty much use file endings which is why the Explorer default of hiding them is really stupid. That's one of the first things I change after installing windows since Explorer ever existed. So sometimes on Linux having really no file ending on a downloaded file can work better. Default MS Wwindows installs only pretend to have no endings on all filles, but it's a stupid Explorer setting.

MacOS, Linux, BDS, Solaris, UNIX, Xenix etc don't depend on suffix and indeed don't have default like .exe (except for WINE).
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_format#Magic_number
(Unrelated to a magic number in programming source code)

Malware in attachments is famously 'something.doc< loads of spaces >.exe' so even if file endings are visible it is not.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-20-2024 at 02:27 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote