View Single Post
Old 01-19-2024, 08:55 PM   #3934
peng1774
peng1774 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 (keyboard), kindle DXG
Smile kindle DXG failed in fonts updating

hi NiLuJe,
Firstly, huge respect to you seeing you are still replying people in this thread even in 2024, which is unbelievable for all the love and effort that you put for such many 10+ years!
I bought my DXG from a neighbor yesterday (i have had a fantastic kindle 3 keyboard for years but there are couple of badly scanned PDF books i don't feel comfortable reading on the 6 inch screen. which made me wanna try the 9 inch DXG).
Today I tired to jailbreak and put Chinese font into it, but failed. But i get no idea what step I missed or could there be any other software problems. can you help take a brief look at it ?

basically what i did was :
1. checked version (pic1)
2. downloaded Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_dxg_install.bin. Put in kindle root dir, eject USB device. update kindle. kindle run into U006 error code which is good. (in pic2)
3. downloaded Update_fonts_5.16.N_dxg_install.bin. put in root dir, eject USB device. update kindle. install successfully.
4. downloaded Droid_Sans, put the 12 newer 2011 TTF files from this folder to kindle linkfonts/fonts folder (replaced the same named old 1980 TTF fils) pic3.
5. copy paste the autoreboot file, rename it as 'reboot'. eject USB device. kindle rebooted successfully. But the chinese book (title) still failed to be readable, just being some boxes. (pic4).

i feel like maybe i should download more chinese TTFs, then i downloaded
NotoSansCJKsc-Bold.ttf
NotoSansCJKsc-BoldItalic.ttf
NotoSansCJKsc-Italic.ttf
NotoSansCJKsc-Regular.ttf
and put them to fonts folder and rebooted kindle again but chinese characters remained unreadable.

now i'm running out of ideas. (maybe i should rename those CJK TTFs to be Serif_Bold/BoldItalic/Italic/Regular and use them to replace the existed TTFs?)

Can you let me know if you have any idea? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-version.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	205901   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-u006-good.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	205902   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-12new2011TFF-fonts.png
Views:	87