View Single Post
Old 12-31-2023, 10:09 AM   #1
muuyo
muuyo will become famous soon enoughmuuyo will become famous soon enoughmuuyo will become famous soon enoughmuuyo will become famous soon enoughmuuyo will become famous soon enoughmuuyo will become famous soon enoughmuuyo will become famous soon enough

Device: Meebook M7, don't plan to expand
Question Bouncing between the Kobo Sage and various android options

I plan to primarily be using this thing for manga, with around 10-20% reading on the side, so I'm heavily optimizing towards a bit larger of a screen and good blacks.

So, I'm currently deciding between three groups:
- The Kobo Sage, which has the best contrast (afaik), 8 inches which seems like the commonly liked size, has battery issues which apparently just easily get remedied after a few recharges and disabling WiFi, slightly heavier than:
- The Forma, which is the Sage without its cons but with worse contrast. Cheaper for me by about 100$ CAD, but it's 5 years old.
- One of the Likebooks off Aliexpress. I'd have no customer support, however having android is a giant plus - just for Tachiyomi alone, not to mention everything else. Allegedly the battery is fine, I'm not too pressed about the battery being good. They're a lot cheaper, too.

USB-C is a giant plus, which steers me even further toward the Sage, and having the pencil seems pretty fun so I like it for that too.
The main crux of my decision is contrast, which is where I need help:

Does anyone know what the color contrast on the Likebooks is like in comparison to the Sage?
There's a lot of different models I'm seeing, and I'm looking at:
Muses, Mimas, Ares, Mars, P78, and whatever the hell this one is. I'd like to keep my hard limit around 300 CAD, which is the price of the Sage. I tried looking for model numbers for the screen v.s. the Sage, but no dice, even though they're allegedly all by the same company.

Anyone have any advice?
muuyo is offline   Reply With Quote