View Single Post
Old 12-16-2023, 03:59 PM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
"But we have to snoop on you so we can pay our authors!" is not a compelling reason for me to open myself up to their monitoring and analyzing of what I read and how I read it.
That wouldn't be a compelling reason for anyone; that's an absurd strawman. The compelling reason is that the combination of price plus offerings provides enough value to be worth getting. And most don't give a tinker's goldarn about data collection. Somewhere in the realm of "who cares?" and "since I don't live off the grid there's already an infinite amount of data out there about me anyway."

Quote:
Because I have a feeling they are not doing this just for the altruistic purposes of paying authors. They are doing it to increase their profits with enhanced advertising and targeted marketing based on data they glean from me. I choose not to supply them with that data.
Who said anything about altruism? It's a business. Moreover, targeted marketing only works to the extent you actually fall for it. Why not show them and just not buy? I have to say it's stunning the number of cowboy romances I've not bought even though Goodreads has told me I'd like them.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote