View Single Post
Old 11-11-2023, 10:01 AM   #8
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
This information is outdated. Although the GUI interface of the Kindle Previewer does not function under Linux, people have been able to make the Previewer CLI run under Wine and that is enough to allow the KFX Output plugin to produce KFX in calibre. See the Installation section of the KFX Output plugin documentation for some (now outdated) software combinations that have worked in the past.

Another alternative to using KFX Output to produce KFX is using one of Amazon's send-to-kindle methods. Doing that now delivers KFX format to many, but it may not be enabled in all regions yet. The main downside of that method is that the conversion is performed on Amazon's servers and the results are stored under your Amazon account. Some are concerned about the privacy implications of that. Personally, send-to-kindle is the method that I use myself these days, mostly because in addition to delivering KFX it allows syncing of reading position across apps and devices.
Hey, thanks for the update! Although it's a bummer that the plugin does not get automatically ported to Linux, yours is quite an interesting news!
I get that the send-to-kindle methods is probably the most easy to achieve and the most practical one, and although I am not concerned about privacy to Amazon (not only I don't have piracy to hide, but Amazon already knows my habit better than me), I don't like the idea to have to use wifi to have ebooks delivered to me (I can use it, but I don't like to be forced to)... and most important, right now the only plugin I really make use of on the Kindle is the Collection plugins... and for that I would be forced to connect to Kindle anyway I understand...
Therefore I think I'll give it a go on Wine on my Linux machine... should be fun!

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote